Diabetic, hot jelly legs, poor eyesight, slurred speech, stroke ?

Question
my mum as diabetic she as the shakes hot jelly legs aslo she as got bad vision she as had her eyes tested she been told they are fine sometimes her speech isnt good whats wrong
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Your mother will need a complete assessment by a neurologist to look for the cause of the symptoms she's going through. Diabetes tends to produce complications which primarily involve the nerves, eyes, kidneys, heart.

The visual symptoms can be due to diabetic retinopathy or cataract. The good news is that she's been told that her eyes are fine.

The symptoms in her legs could possibly be due to diabetic neuropathy in which the nerves get damaged due to high blood sugars.

She'll also need to get an MRI of the brain as diabetics are more prone to clot formation and strokes and temporary strokes (TIA), which can cause slurred speech.

Hence, you need to consult a neurologist. Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.

Follow-up: Diabetic, hot jelly legs, poor eyesight, slurred speech, stroke ? 5 hours later
our does she get to see neurologist

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

You can talk to her primary care physician and ask him to refer your mother to a neurologist. You can also take a direct appointment from a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well. Regards.