Diabetic, high cholesterol, have continuous pain in right arm, difficulty in holding heavy things. Reason?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi Doc, my wife is suffering from regular pains on her right arm just at the knee bend. She cannot hold heavy weights. The problem has cached up with her left arm also with which she does heavy house-hold chores. Please help. She has Diabetes and cholesterol too. At present her diabetes is at normal level. The blood test can be carried out to diagnose the problem. My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Presence of pain and weakness (inability to work) in both upper limbs at the bents (elbow joints I guess) indicates some disease process localized to the joints.
This could be due to arthritis.
Arthritis is inflammation of the joint surfaces.
it could be due to infection.
Infective or septic artgritis is quite painful, causes redness of the overlying skin and associated fever, so this is an unlikely cause.
It could be due to an autoimmune cause which is more common at this age.

Consult your physician for clinical examination and relevant investigations.
Some blood tests (antibody panel) will help in clinching the diagnosis if at all an immunological cause is suspected.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Diabetic, high cholesterol, have continuous pain in right arm, difficulty in holding heavy things. Reason? 24 hours later
One of the doctors said that it may be a symptom of IDIOTIC THROMBOSIS. I am enclosing her blood test report taken on 07/01/2013 so that you can at-least prescribe some medicines for easing out the continuous pain in her hands.
RBC: 4.13
Periphral Smear Exam:65
Serum Appearance: Clear
S. Cholesterol:282
S. Triglycerides:602
HDL Cholesterol: 31
LDL Cholesterol: 130.6
VLDL Cholesterol: 120.4
LDLC/HDLC Ratio: 4.21
TC/HDLC Ratio: 19.42
S. Cholesterol/HDLC Ratio:9.1
SGPT: 39
Glucose Fasting: 154
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 30 minutes later
Hello and welcome again,

The lab tests tests that you have posted show a normal hemoglobin, normal TLC and normal platelets.

There are abnormalities of lipids and blood sugar.
The level to total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL and VLDL are high. This condition is called hyperlipidemia.

The level of fasting glucose is also high. This is an indication of diabetes mellitus.

You need drugs to lower the level of lipids and blood sugar.
Consulting a physician who can examine you is needed before prescribing any drug.
So, visit your doctor for further evaluation and prescription of drugs.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal