Diabetic, high BP, acid reflux, feels shaky, normal sugar, neck has sunburn. Any ideas?

my husband is diabetic, slight high blood pressure, acid reflux. his medications are lisinipril, protonix, humalog, and lantus. he has been feeling shaky but his sugars are normal. also today the back of his neck felt like it had a sunburn but was not red. any ideas on thos 2 things?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 44 minutes later

As you can imagine, these symptoms are not specific to any particular condition. You describe your husband as feeling shaky but with normal blood sugars, and sensitivity of the skin on the back of his neck, like a sunburn. The range of possibilities for these symptoms is very wide. He could be a medication side effect. He could be the earliest signs of shingles, which often begins as a burning sensation on the surface of the skin. The emergence of shingles often also causes constitutional symptoms, which could account for the shaky feeling.

I assume that he does not have any other symptoms suggestive of angina, such as chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, jaw pain, shoulder or arm pain or numbness or tingling of the extremities.

If you would like to provide additional information I would be happy to follow up with you.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz