Diabetic having low sodium level. Vomiting and muscle cramps after recovering from pneumonia. Can electrolyte powder be given without raising sugar levels?

My mother is a diabetic and have low salt level.Few days back she was hospitalized for pneumonia and she was hospitalized .She was released from hospital and currently in a flight to my home town.She has vommitted and developed muscle cramp in the neck.Can we give electrolye powder without causing sugar level to soar
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 minutes later
Hello Sujeeb and thanks for query.

You can give water along with salt and lemon which will take care of dehydration and cramps because of salt loss.

Salt has sodium in it and lemon is XXXXXXX in potassium.

No need to give electrolyte powder as it has sugar in it.

I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any follow up query.

Thanks and best of luck.