Diabetic, have pinching feeling at the top of nose, headache. MRI showed sinus infection. Suggest?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have a terrible pinching feeling at the top of my nose and between my eyes, which worsens to include headache. MRI shows some sinus congestion. When I overeat it worsens. Also type 2 diabetic with poor sugar control. This has lasted 2 months - doctors have been unable to help so far - I'm desperate for help, this is causing me misery.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 45 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT consultant who has treated thousands of cases of sinusitis with good result

At the offset let me assure you that your problem can be treated with proper medications and lifestyle modifications

With the background of sinus congestion and the pinching feeling between the eyes I would assume that you are having an episode of sinusitis. Also since you have diabetes, it can lead to different sinus infections so it has to be controlled.

You neeed to do the following immediately:
- You need to immediately start on a strong antibiotic like amoxicillin-clavulanate combination along with a pain killer and antihistamine. Your doctor will know about these
- You need to take steam inhalation thrice daily for one week and then twice daily for two weeks
-You need to avoid anything cold and take only warm fluids
- You must XXXXXXX a diabetologist who can properly manage your sugar levels as only a proper control of sugar can ensure proper control of infection and you can avoid any complications
- You can wait for a week or two for the symptoms to subside and if that does not happen then you must get a nasal endoscopy done along with CT of the nose and sinuses and get back to me with the report
- Avoid the direct blast of the fan or AC

Hope you get better soon and do not worry, if you follow the above instructions properly then you will definitely get better.

If you have any more doubts I will be happy to answer them

Dr Sriram Nathan