Diabetic, have high sugaar level, taking istamet and gemer2. How to control it?

my fasting blood sugar is 230 and post lunch is 275 and evening random is 275. i am taking istamet twice before break fast and dinner and gemer2 before lunch. i am walking 2km in the morning and taking veg diet. but still my blood sugar not controlled. pl.suggest
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 58 minutes later
Brief answer...There can be various ways by which our sugar can be controlled.
Detailed answer....

High sugar levels must definitely be controlled to avoid various types of future micro as well as macrovascular complications. I suggest patients to reduce weight with proper diet and increased aerobic exercise. Instead of 3 meals a day,plan for 6 small meals a day.

Besides this, the medical ways...
1. If you are using ISTAMET 50/500 ,then we can add metformin separately in dose of 500 mg twice daily.
2. Your doctor may also introduce a different class of drugs called as alpha glucosidase inhibitors like VOGLIBOSE.
3. A long acting insulin called as LANTUS might be added to your regime.

Discuss with your treating doctor and plan for these changes.

Control your blood pressure well and target should be 120/80mm of Hg.
Control your lipid profile.
Get tested for VIT D and VIT B 12 and take these supplements,if deficient.
You must consult a XXXXXXX medicine specialist or a diabetologist for proper evaluation of your status and modifying your treatment.
There is nothing to loose hope because there is no reason why your sugar levels can not be controlled.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck