Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic, have foamy urination. Cause?

73 yrs old, female, type 2 diabetic, fomy urination. What causes fomy looking urine ??
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be normal unless recurrent...

Detailed Answer:

Foamy urine doesn't not necessarily mean something is abnormal. In fact I wouldn't be concerned if some one told me that I noticed foamy urination today. I would definitely explore if urine recurrently foams; in such instance I would like to record the amount of proteins in the urine.

Urine test (urine routine and microscopy) and 24 hours urine protein level can help us identify if there is an abnormal cause (proteinuria).

Hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.