Diabetic, have Chronic Pancreatitis and the scare tissue is bad, Considering for Pancreas removal to avoid cancer. Suggest?

I am considering having my Pancreas removed to avoid cancer. I have Chronic Pancreatitis, and the scare tissue is very bad, so nothing could be found if it were there. I will be having an EUS tomorrow, my second. My Dr. discovered a mass of scare tissue in my Pancreatic duct. I am already Diabetic, and 2 years ago, had a TOTAL SPENECTOMY, AND A BILLARY BYPASS. wHAT WOUD THE RECOVERY BE FOR THE PANCREAS BEING REMOVED?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
recovery may take upto 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your concern here.

Surgery done for removal of pancreas is whipples operation or modification of it. Recovery may take up to 2 weeks. Mortality rate after surgery is less than 2% and morbidity rate is up to 30% in high volume centre.

There may be few complications like paralytic ileus, sepsis, anastamotic leak, and any complications associated with any surgery. Please discuss about these complication with your treating doctor before you opt to remove pancreas.

I hope I have answered your query .

Hope you will get well soon.
Follow-up: Diabetic, have Chronic Pancreatitis and the scare tissue is bad, Considering for Pancreas removal to avoid cancer. Suggest? 2 days later
I want to know the specifics,, like, will I have a feeding tube, one that is meant to stay in for Months? Which of the complications (or how many, and what are they) are more common than others? What physically happens to my body if one of these common complications take place, and how easy or difficult is it to get out of these complication?
From the few people I have spoken to, one being my husband, it seems to be more like a 2 month recovery, not 2 weeks. I'm talking about recovery time, to the point of being functional again, going back to work, etc. Not just how long you will be in the hospital. Some of these people who had the Whipple, were hospitalized for a month, then they were sent to rehab hospitals for up to 5 mos. My gastroenternologist believes that I would still have a feeding tube in me, at about a years time. Would that be a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details below

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback. I appreciate your concern.

Usually feeding is started with in 4 days of surgery if there is no paralytic ileus through feeding tube which is increased gradually and in around next 5 days oral sips of liquid is allowed which if one tolerates well then normal diet is resumed within another three days and feeding tube is removed. Yes if the paralytic ileus persist for a longer period of time then the things will be delayed. Also if there is any other complications the stay may be longer no doubt.

Paralytic ileus and gastroparesis that is no intestinal motility and gastric motility respectively may occur in up to 30% of the patients

Anastamotic leak or pancreatic fistula may develop in 5 to 10% of the patients

If any of these complications occur then hospital stay will be prolonged, you may not be able to take orally or may be via feeding tube or you may have to be started on parentral nutrition.

No if everything goes well feeding tube can be removed within 10 days of surgery

Yes I have mentioned about the discharge from the hospital that is usually within 2 weeks. Full functional recovery may take up to 8 weeks

If you do not have any clarification , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.