Diabetic, got foot ulcer with pus. Recommended Cubicin and livofloxoncin infection. Done surgery. Healing time?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
my father is 58 yers old and he got dibaetes from last 13 yrs but last month he got foot ulcer in his foot and there is pus coming out from the infected part and we are consulting vascular surgeon dr XXXXXXX zindal from fortis and he recomended cubicin injection and livofloxincin injection and he has done surgery of my father foot ..............
i want to ask that how much time is taken to heal the foot ulcer problem...............
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Time limit cannot be defined.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX, Hi, I fully understand your concern, but I am afraid it is almost impossible to tell you the time a wound will take to heal. I can surely tell you the factors delaying or favoring wound healing. Out of all of them, the most important is Blood sugar control. Good glycemic control will facilitate wound healing. Right selection of antibiotics, his creatinine, blood pressure, co morbid conditions, his general attitude, limb dependency, vascularity, neuropathic status, are some of the other factors playing critical role in wound healing. Regards!

Follow-up: Diabetic, got foot ulcer with pus. Recommended Cubicin and livofloxoncin infection. Done surgery. Healing time? 8 minutes later
his creatinine is 0.9 and bp is normal but sugar fasting is 123,150 or 130 is fluctuating results of past 3 days. and cubicin injection is injected everyday and dressing is done on alternate day..what precaution we must take can you suggest docter............................

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good Job!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX, I think you are doing a great job. His creatinine is normal, blood pressure is normal, right antibiotic is being given in right dose, daily dressing is being done. I think these are all positive things. Certain precautions- 1. Insulin helps wound healing. 2. Tight glycemic control favours wound healing. 3. Avoid dependent limb position. 4. Off loading is a must. Regards!

Follow-up: Diabetic, got foot ulcer with pus. Recommended Cubicin and livofloxoncin infection. Done surgery. Healing time? 7 minutes later
Avoid dependent limb position. 4. Off loading is a must is not clear docter and insulin injection of 16 ratio is given everyday but the yellow fuid is still coming out from the foot what is this is pus cells, culture report is negative .............no smell in area an dinfection has not touch the bone part also.............

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue taking care.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,
1. dependent limb means that the limb should not be in hanging position for long. that causes oedema.
2. offloading means that even for small walks like say toilet visits, there should be no pressure on the wound site.
3. insulin is already going , please continue, titrate the dose for good glycemic control.
4. yellow fluid still oozing, ask your vascular surgeon to drain out all pus.
5. bone not involved, culture sterile, no foul smell are all positive signs.
Thank you.