Diabetic, detected protein in urine. Does this result in kidney failure? What test should be done?

my mother has been detected of protein in Urine, she is diabetic but is in control, Age - 65, also she is loosing weight regularly as she has restricted diet beacuse of the diabetes. Is kidney failure the resukt always and is there a medication available. what are the tests to be done to ascertain kidney related issues also where do we refer her for further tests , she exercises by walking for 40 mins daily
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later
Brief Answer: See detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi there Thank you for sending in your query. Long standing diabetes mellitus often affects the kidneys. If your mother is losing proteins in the urine then it might be a sign of diabetic kidney disease. So we need to do the following tests to ascertain what is the status of her kidneys at present: 1) Spot urine protein to creatinine ratio or UPCR 2) Blood tests: Serum creatinine and blood urea levels 3) Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder These tests can be done in any standard laboratory. Once we have the results of the above tests we will be in a better position to determine the extent of the effect of Diabetes on her kidneys. What can we do to prevent her kidney damage from worsening? The following are some of the measures which have been found to be helpful in retarding the progress of kidney disease in diabetics: 1) Tight control of blood sugars (target HbA1c <7%) 2) Blood pressure control (Target <130/80); if she has hypertension. 3) Cholesterol control (Target LDL Cholesterol<100 mg/dl) 4) Use of a class of drugs called as ARBs (eg telmisartan), under the supervision of a physician 5) Avoiding certain commonly used medications which are harmful for the kidneys (eg. Combiflam, Nise etc.) Your doctor can provide you a complete list. I suggest that you see a nephrologist who can guide you in carrying out these measures. I hope this was helpful Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Bhabhe
Follow-up: Diabetic, detected protein in urine. Does this result in kidney failure? What test should be done? 15 hours later
The only other quesry was why is she loosing weight rapidalt is this associated with protein being lost
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Se detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi again Protein loss in the urine may cause malnutrition only if it is in very high quantities. I do not think that her rapid weight loss can be linked to her proteinuria. We need to rule out other causes and can start by doing a CBC, ESR and thyroid function tests, along with the other investigations which I mentioned in my first reply. We should also have her diet assessed by a dietician. I hope this was helpful. I will be happy to provide answers to any other questions which you may have. Regards Dr. Bhabhe