Diabetic, controlled with diet and exercise. Developed dry cough, tingling in hands and feet. What causes it?

Type 2 diabetic for 12 years Have controlled blood glucose thru diet and exercise. Recently spent 3 weeks in China /Tibet and developed a dry cough. Now cough is mostly gone but I have tingling/pin cushion feel in my hands and feet. Recent glucose readings Morning/evenings ( before eating ) have ranged from 120- morning and 140 evenings. If my blood readings are higher (150 range ) typically that always occurs in evening. What is going on with this sudden feeling of tingling in hands and feet ?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Peripheral neuropathy Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Long standing diabetes often leads to a condition called peripheral neuropathy where patients often feel tingling sensation of hands and feet. A close differential for this is Vit B12 deficiency, more so if you are a vegetarian. Dry cough does not have anything to do with this development Here are my suggestions to you 1. Approach a neurologist and get a nerve conduction study done along with Vit B 12 levels. 2. Tab Neurobion forte daily for 3 months and if the tingling is severe Tab Pregabalin 75 at night is usually prescribed 3. Keep your blood sugars under good control to prevent worsening of the tingling sensation. Your current morning blood sugar is satisfactory, please get a HbA1C blood test done to know your overall sugar control in the past 3 months I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards