Diabetic, back pain, knee joint pain, on diapride plus, piosys, fiabtor medication, high tryg-levels. Treatment ?

Question
I AM PATIENT OF TYPE -2 DIABETICS FOR LAST 8 YEARS - NOW MY FBS IS BETWEEN 100 TO 140 AND AFTER FOOD IT IS BETWEEN 150 TO 175 - I HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED WITH 2 TAB OF DIAPRIDE PLUS 1-0-1 AND PIOSYS 7.5MG 0-0-1 AND FIABTOR 10 MG ONE AT NIGHT AFTER FOOD. BUT NOW I AM GETTING BACK PAIN AND KNEE JOINT PAIN EVERY DAY - I AM 52 YEARS - NO BP NO HEART PROBLEMS EVERY THING IS NORMAL EXCEPT TRYG-LEVEL WHICH IS AS HIGH AS 512 KINDLY ADVICE - HOW TO REDUCE IS - PRESENT DRUG IS NOT SUITS ?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

The knee pain and back pain that you are having is more likely to be related to Osteoarthritis and Ankylosing spondylosis rather than Diabetes or Hypercholesterolemia.

In spite of the medicines that you are taking, your blood glucose levels are not well controlled and need dose adjustment. A cholesterol lowering agent like Atorvastatin will help to reduce your cholesterol levels.

For the joint pains, the treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like Glucosamine sulfate, Chondroitin, Dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.

You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc under the guidance of your physiotherapist.

A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the spine will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.