Diabetic and want to loose weight. What to do?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
SIR, WITHIN LAST 4 DAYS I GAIN WEIGHT 4 KG IE FROM 78 TO 82 KG , I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT BY ANY MEAN UPTO 70 KG CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME/ADVICE BY ANY MEAN , IF YOU WANT ME TO FAST I WILL DO THAT NO ISSUE , MORNING /EVENING HALF HOUR WALK ROAD HOLIDAY 1 HOUR WALK IN GARDEN IE SAT/SUND & OTHER PUBLIC HOLIDAY
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Weight

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Weight loss in Diabetics Detailed Answer: HiXXXXX, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding your weight gain as you are suffering from diabetes. As you are a diabetic fasting is never an option for you. Please do not try fasting of any kind as that can cause sudden changes in sugar levels and cause complications. Now coming to your weight loss, you need to have a diet plan which will help you control your sugar levels and also cause weight loss. Usually diabetic patients are prescribed diabetic diets which is rich in nutrients and low in fat and calories. Nutritious foods include the following: 1. Healthy carbohydrates - Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and low fat dairy foods. 2. Fiber rich foods - Vegetables, whole wheat. 3. Fish if non vegetarian 4. Fats - olive oil, almond oil. High calorie foods in your diet have to be replaced by the foods mentioned above. I suggest you write down all the food items you are eating everyday. By this you will realize how many calories you are eating per day. Calories given by each food item based on serving size is available online on many websites. Based on your height, weight and age the number of calories to be eaten per day can be calculated. I suggest you get back with details regarding your height, weight, and lifestyle to help me calculate your daily calorie intake. Regular exercise is a must for weight loss along with diet changes. You can continue with your walking but can increase the duration to at least 45 minutes to 1 hour. Normal weight loss should be about half to 1 kg per week. So do not expect sudden weight loss within a week to 15 days. Based on the number of kgs you have to lose, the duration will vary. I suggest you get back with the following details, so that I can assist you further. 1. Age 2. Height 3. Present weight 4. Vegetarian or non vegetarian 5. Medications for diabetes 6. Occupation I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks.

Follow-up: Diabetic and want to loose weight. What to do? 43 hours later
1. Age 58 2. Height 5'6 3. Present weight 82 kg 4. Vegetarian or non vegetarian- both 5. Medications for diabetes- as per doctor prescription 6. Occupation-service

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Strict calorie count and exercise Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Welcome back. Thanks for providing the details I had asked for. Based on your height, weight, age and lifestyle the number of calories you can eat per day can be calculated. You need to eat around 1700 - 1800 calories per day to lose half kg per week. There are many calorie counters available online which will help you calculate the calories given by each food item based on the serving size. One such website is mentioned here ( WWW.WWWW.WW I suggest you make a diary to write down whatever you are eating from morning to evening and calculate the calories for whatever you have eaten per day. Avoid fatty food like ghee, oil, sweets etc. Replace refined food with fiber and whole grains like salads and porridge. Cut down on your tea, coffee intake and salt. I am suggesting a sample diet plan below, but you can make necessary changes which will suit you but calorie intake has to kept in check. Breakfast - Whole-wheat bread 2-3 slices with 2 eggs (boiled or fried in olive oil), one piece of fruit (papaya or orange). Avoid bananas. Lunch - Two rotis (medium size) with any 1 cup curry cooked with less oil (Avoid potatoes, avoid red meat). Vegetable salad 2 cups and curds 2 cups. Half cup plain rice can be taken if still hungry. Dinner - Two rotis (medium size) with any curry, preferably dal, vegetable salad, curds. Another roti can be eaten if still hungry. One fruit can be taken after dinner. Snacks - Two to four XXXXXXX biscuits or any digestive biscuits which have less sugar content. Avoid oily snacks. Try to restrict your tea and coffee intake to 1-2 cups per day and it should be sugarless tea/coffee. Drink at least 3-4 litres of water per day. Continue your regular walking exercise but gradually increase the duration by 15 minutes. Do not miss your medications and regularly get your sugar levels checked. I hope I have helped you with this answer. Wishing you all the luck for your weight loss. Thanks.