Diabetic and sugar under control. Have had episodes of sore throat. Cause?

Since the past 3 months I have had 3 episodes of sore throat( I got the third one yesterday). I feel that this is too frequent. I never used to have them so frequently before. Can you tell me the cause of this? I am also a Type 1 diabetic since 6 years. My blood sugar is well in control (last HbA1c 5.9) and I have no complications.

Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
bacterial or viral infection of the throat

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry about your present health status. Yes, it is frequent for someone to get sore throat thrice in 3 months.

I see that you are also Type 1 Diabetic since last 6 years.

The common cause for this is a bacterial streptococcal throat infection. Since, this is a season for viral fevers; it could be recurrent viral throat infection as well. Both are common in diabetics like you. Perhaps, your immunity was down in the last three months and that is the reason you caught the infection often.

I am glad your blood sugar is well within control. Keep it up!

Since the sore throat is recurring in you, it is advisable to get a throat swab culture and antibiotic sensitivity testing to confirm on the cause. Treatment can be advised based on the swab culture study.

I wish you recover quickly and lead a health life.

Follow-up: Diabetic and sugar under control. Have had episodes of sore throat. Cause? 2 hours later
Hmm, what exactly is the measure of immunity? I had a full body check up in April, is there something in the report that shows immunity levels?

Also, I have a TOEFL exam tomorrow. Can you recommend something for symptom relief? Right now I have take Azithrol 500 mg in the morning on the advise of a friend who is an M.B.B.S student. She asked me to take 2 tablets for 5 days. Please tell me if that is fine.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
explained below

Detailed Answer:

The measure of immunity in your blood check up would be total WBC count and the differential count including the ESR. These values will let us know about your immunity status. Please look for these values in your report.

Regarding dosage of Azithral, for your weight of 71 kgs - One tablet of Azithral 500mg once daily at the same time everyday for 3 days would suffice.

It was pleasure chatting with you.

Wish you good luck for the TOEFL exam tomorrow :)

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Diabetic and sugar under control. Have had episodes of sore throat. Cause? 19 minutes later
My WBC Differential count details are as follows

Segmented Neutrophils - 65 %
Eosinophyls - 04 %
Lymphocytes - 23 %
Monocytes - 08 %
Basophils - 00 %

ESR - 01 mm at 1 hr

Does it tell something about my immunity?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
test report is normal

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for my delayed response.

The test report is normal. The report says your immunity is fine. It is normal.

You need not do further testing.

Get well soon.