Diabetic and on dialysis. Has cataract and blood behind the eyes. Surgery can save her eyes?

hi doctor, my name is XXXXXXX i would like to ask u a question about my mom, my mom is diabetic, she is on the dialisis, doctors say she has cataract and blood behind the eyes, what i would love to know is ..... can her sight be saved through surgery? her doctor dont want to operate,
do u know of any good eye drop that can improve her sight, something that will enable her to read
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Your mother is suffering from Diabetes Mellitus and Chronic Kidney Disease and is on Hemodialysis.

Regarding the Visual Disturbance and Blood behind the eyes, its called Vitreous Hemorrhage. This occurs in long standing diabetics due to proliferation of new blood vessels in retina which sometimes rupture.

If its mild, it can get reabsorbed. However, in most of the cases, it needs surgical excision and clearance such that the vision can restored.

I am afraid XXXXXXX there is no eye drops which can be help in this situation.

So go ahead with the surgery.

I wish you all the best and good health to you mother.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran.