Diabetic and hypertensive. Having IBS diverticulosis and fecal incontinence. Effective medication?

Jan 2013

I have long standing IBS diverticulosis. Has become worse as I get older and another sympton has added fecal incontinence. I am diabitic and suffer from hypertention. What meds can really help me with this pain?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
What medicine are you using for control of blood pressure?
Are you also suffering from abdominal discomfort/ abdominal bloating?
Is your blood sugar both fasting and postprandial control or not?

Diabetes is a multi organ disease with involvement of almost all organs of body due to its complications.
Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial must be in controlled range.
Diabetes is due to progressive loss or destruction of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.
When diabetes has been diagnosed, less than 20% beta cells remains in pancreas and progressive destruction of beta cells is still continuing.

Long lasting diabetes may also cause gastrointestinal complication just like constipation, diarrhea and recurrent vomiting.
Amlodipine used for control of blood pressure may also cause long lasting constipation.
Constipation itself is a precipitating factor for diverticulosis.
With age, smooth muscle also gets weak and may also be a caustaive agent for constipation.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar both fasting and postprandial, serum C peptide level, renal function test, lipid profile and Glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c).
You should also go for thyroid profile as hypothyroidism is associated with constipation and abdominal discomfort.

You should maintain your physiological activities to get rid of constipation apart from medical treatment.
Take plenty of water and high fibres diet.
Increased physical activity with almost 3-5 KM walk.
If you are already a diagnosed case of IBS, then you should take mebeverine and Normaxin (but remember, these medicine may also predispose to constipation but these are the only available medicines for IBS abdominal pain).

You should take dulcolax along with Luboprostine for get rid of constipation.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava