Diabetic and do not take insulin. During flight legs get restless and twitchy. Suggest?

May 2013
I am mild diabetic and do not take inselin, when I fly my legs get very restless and twicthy. Is there something I can take before flying? This is very unconfortable, esspecially on long flights
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
in-flight exercises, supportive stockings

Detailed Answer:
During flying for long distance these type of discomfort is common.
The general measures you can follow are :
-Take plenty of water, avoid caffeinated drinks, alcohol etc.
-Wear clothes that are comfortable to you and do not restrict your movements.
-Use foot rests or rest your feet on luggage.
-If possible walk for 5 to 10 minutes in every 2 to 3 hours of journey.
-Do in-flight exercises in every 30 to 45 minutes. The usual in-flight exercises recommend are foot circles, lifting toe and heel alternatively, knee raises, knee curls etc.
If the pain persist after doing all these things also, better to consult physician once.
Go for coagulation profile and rule out possibility of varicose veins etc.
Then with his advice you can use supportive stockings.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.