Diabetic and diagnosed with fatty liver. Can I consume whisky in small amount?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello Sir, I have diagnosed with fatty liver Grade 'I' as some time my AST and ALT level goes little bith higher. I am taking UDILIV 300 twice a day to cure that. On other around I also have type II diabetes from last 3 years which is well under control as I work out daily and took my medicine on time. My Question is, I drink beer or whisky in small amount occasionally twice a month with my friends in parties. Can I drink occasinally or I should leave this habit. I am having very confusion on that. Please guide me on that. Regards XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Fatty liver occurs due to many different causes which include alcohol intake, obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol etc. For complete resolution of fatty liver, you have to keep blood glucose under control ( HbA1C less than 7), treat high cholesetrol if it is high and weight reduction if obese. Though occasional intake of alcohol is not going to do any harm, quitting it is better. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Diabetic and diagnosed with fatty liver. Can I consume whisky in small amount? 1 hour later
Hi Sir, Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate your feedback. Yes my HbA1C is always below 7 from when my medicine started. I have one question should I have to take UDILIV 300 all life long. This is very expensive medicine. Is there any substitute for this medicine. Also what fruits and vegetables are good for healthy liver. Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, I have mentioned about the possible causes of fatty liver in my earlier post. Treating them is all that is needed to reverse fatty liver. Udiliv is a supportive medication only. It does not make any difference even if you do not take it as long as you treat the underlying cause of fatty liver. So you can even stop taking udiliv. Any fruit and vegetable is going to be beneficial. Because they provide less calories and more vitamins and minerals. Green leafy vegetables and yellow/orange fruits are particularly beneficial. Since you are a diabetic also, you can discuss with your diabetologist and dietician for the right diet. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini