Diabetic and BP. Rood suppliments could help?

If the person is diabatic (takes 1 tablets per day 200 mg) & also have BP (take 1 tablet per day 25mg). What food suppliments could help him so that in the long run dependency on the medice comes down.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I can advise you the lifestyle changes that help in controlling diabetes and blood pressure:

1. Diet: take low calorie food. Avoid high calorie food like milk products (cheese, butter, ghee, sweets, chocolates, etc). Avoid salt, sugar and oil in your diet. Take more of raw vegetables, an occasional fruit, high fiber biscuits. Take high protein diet to give you the energy, for example boiled black channa. Take hygienic diet and pure water. Drink lots of water.

2. Exercise: atleast 20 min a day. It can include gym, walk, yoga, cycling, swimming, etc. Do not over exert at any exercise. Take a snack before you exercise.

3. Stress: Try meditation, yoga, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques.

Currently there is no single food supplement that has been shown to improve these conditions.

Let me know if you need further clarification

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Diabetic and BP. Rood suppliments could help? 14 hours later
Dear Dr. Vaishalee, Thanks a lot for your speed & prompt reply. I know their is no single food suppliment for these.
But is it helpfull if we take natural protien (isolated soy protien), multivitamin, water soluable fiber etc. from well know food suppliment company (all organic products). Thanks, XXXXX - +91 0000 0000.
Hi again

Multivitamins especially vitamin B12 is good in diabetes. Vitamin B12 levels can be measured in the blood by a simple blood test. You can also get folic acid levels measured. If these levels are deficient then take the multivitamins for at least 3 months period. These are supplements and make up for the low vitamins in the body and boost the overall health and immunity of a person.

High protein diet is very beneficial in diabetes. It gives the extra energy and nutrition needed in diabetes. If you want to include soy protein in diet, I will recommend that you go for soy burgers and soy milk. Soy protein that has been isolated is only protein and has lost the other nutrients present in soy milk. For some reason I feel that extracts are very strong and may produce some side-effects.

Water soluble fiber is a good choice for hypertension as it decreases the cholesterol absorption from the gut. Thus it can help control blood pressure to some extent. It can be taken long term but it may alter the bowel movements.

Organic products are better choices.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee