Diabetic. What are the low-glycemic food?

Aug 2012

So go for low G.I food which good for diabetics
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 5 hours later

Low GI food is something which is not easily broken down into blood sugar during body metabolism.
All foods containing direct sugars/ glucose, food containing very less fat, proteins, and less fibres are the ones which are high in carbohydrates (which get converted very fast into blood glucose) are high in GI.
The examples are white Rice, white bread, maida rotis, sweet drinks, sweets made up of more sugar and less fat etc.
Low GI foods are brown rice cooked in ample of water, whole wheat roti, other whole cereal rotis, white rice cooked in lots of vegetables, white bread eaten with egg omlet, paratha made up of lots of vegetable contents. In milk items, farmer's cheese- paneer is low GI food. Dals and whole grams like rajmah, chana are low GI foods.
Please let me know a list of food items you love to eat and I shall tell you in a table which ones are low GI and which ones are high GI.

Follow-up: Diabetic. What are the low-glycemic food? 1 hour later,prawn.mushroom,avacardo furits.honey,pomergranate.beens,soups veg.porage,dates,rasam.corns,almounds,walnates,staberys.banana,apples,,,,,iwould aske before shukd insulin or after walk which one better
pop good or bad
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
All the non-vegetarian foods are very very low in GI and also almost free from sugars. That means the main components are proteins and fat only. When you eat the non-veg items together with high GI items like white rice/ maida roti, these items become low in GI. But one should be careful of the excess and harmful fat red meat has. Fish and egg white are the best non- veg options cardiovascular riskwise.
All fruits- are ideally low in GI due to fructose content- as fructose takes more time to get converted into glucose than the table sugar. But fruit drinks are made up of sugary water flavoured with fruits- hence they are high in GI. Fruit juices also carry the risk of fast conversion of fructose to glucose before consumption. Hence have High GI. But whole fruits eaten fresh are ideally low in GI. Mangoes, sapotas, custard apples are slightly high on GI than the fruits like pomogranate, oranges, bananas, apples, strawberries etc.
All nuts- are again low in sugars and very very low in GI. Hence mixing them with high GI food balances the GI of that particular dish.
All vegetables- including carrots, potatoes, XXXXXXX peas are low in GI. Boiled potatoes have less GI than the crisp potatoes/ chips.
Mashroom- no sugar and almost zero GI.
Honey- slightly less GI compared to table sugar but higher compared to other non-sweet items and fresh fruits
Soups- depends what they are made up of. If plain vegetable/ chicken soup- they are low in GI. But if thickening agents are added then they are high in GI and also sugar contents.
Rasam- almost no sugar and also very less GI
Dates and other dry fruits- moderate GI. very dry fruits tend to be low in GI due to late breaking down into simple glucose.
I did not get your last question: Do you want to ask if you should take insulin before or after walk? Please clarify.
Follow-up: Diabetic. What are the low-glycemic food? 2 hours later
insulin novmix units shall i take before brak fast and walking or after,,,? prenstly ia moniting blood suger daily 4time brak fast fasting ,,,after 2hours anh ater lunch bfore 2 horsdinner and ater 2 hours all most ....80 to120 between all most 10days regular check up,,,,,,,still dose 45units morning evening 30 to 35units but lunch and diner janumet1000 u think later dr advise under ican take insulin to change tablets possbile?my weight after4yers i gain weight 15kg addition bc insulin ihate but do ?now diating and reduced 2kg 10days time exercise 30mts,,,,?under medice which i said bfore concor2.5.zacor40mg.asprin twice,palvix75,,,neurobin... do advise omega 3aswell.....nice to here from u ur excellent advise giving us thans ineed urgent
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Oh I forgot about the pop-corns. They are moderate in GI but high in salt and fat if you prefer the branded 'microwave' or 'pressure cooker' popcorns.

Now the injection Novomix you take must be taken 10 minutes before breakfast and 10 minutes before dinner. A person with high sugars, when started on insulin, retains the good calories and puts on weight. That is what has happened to you. You can discuss the matter with your doctor like this: ''reduce your all meals by 30% and hence reduce the dose of insulin by 30%''. With the current doses of insulin, if you experience low sugars frequently then straight away you can reduce the insulin doses to 38 units beofre breakfast and 26 units before dinner. Continue tablet Janumet 1000 both the times of the day.
I again did not understand your question: Do you want to say - ''Is changing from insulin to tablets possible?'' Please clarify. And if you want to ask so then please let me know:
- What is the duration of diabetes?
- What is your height and current weight?
- Do you exercise regularly?
Then I can suggest you more on reducing insulin and going on tablets and also to help you reduce your weight.
Your other medications like concor, zacor, palvix, neurobion, aspirin seem to be ok and omega 3 supplement is also fine but a few studies say supplement of Omega 3 fatty acids is not really very beneficial. Instead, you can have fish prepared in minimum oil/ butter.
I hope you got your answers. Please get back with the details I have asked.
Follow-up: Diabetic. What are the low-glycemic food? 22 hours later
I am very pleased with the quick and excellent service and I thank you very much.

You are welcome. Take care.