Diabetic. Was on amplodine, taking losartan for high BP. Had side effects. Reason for low pulse rate?

Jan 2013

am 62 year old diabetic but under control.I got off fro amplodine and losartan for high bp.side effects were hoirrible my doctor knows I am on natural remedies. garlic and celery had brought my bp down.My heart rate when on medication wasbetween42 and 52. now on natural remedy pulse rate has improved to 48 to 57. How can i increas my pulse rate or itis fineas at present.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have giddiness/ vertigo/ light headedness/ weakness?
Do you have fainting attacks/ feeling of palpable heart beat?
Are you a athlete?

Diabetes is due to progressive loss or destruction of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.
Diabetes is a multi organ disease with involvement of almost all organs of body due to its complications.
Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial must be in controlled range.
Diabetic patients are at high risk of cardiac (heart) disease.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of conduction system defect causing decreased heart rate.
Heart beat originate in SA node and spread to other part of heart by conduction system.
Defect of SA node or AV block may cause missed beats with countable heart rate below 60/ minute.
As such there appears to no possibility of decreased heart rate and amlodipine and losartan.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, thyroid profile, serum electrolytes.
You should also go for electrocardiography, 2 D Echo, electrophysiological studies of heart for better clarification.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
You should avoid beta blocker as it also decreases heart rate.
You can take Orciprenaline (Alupent) 10 mg TDS on written prescription from your local doctor.
As such no home remedy is available for increasing heart rate; tea and coffee may increase heart rate.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava