Diabetic. Treated for UTI. Prescribed Augmentin and injections of Cefatriaxone Monocef. Caused diarrhea. Remedy?

In treating a urinary tract infection, the following treatments were prescribed for my 90 yr old diabetic mother. But it caused incontinence and diarrhoea over the last 24 hrs. She was prescribed Augmentin 625, Potrate M syrup, and 5 daily IV injections of Cefatriaxone Monocef (2mg). Would any of these have caused the incontinence problem? She has not had such a problem since 2- 3 years.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Coamoxiclav(Augementin) therapy is associated with antibiotic induced Diarrhea.

This is due to destruction of the normal flora(Good bacteria) of the gut.

Pro biotic with antibiotic with help in overcoming the diarrhea.

Incontinence whether stool or urine.

Considering it to be urinary incontinence.

UTI can cause urge incontinence and once it is treated completely incontinence will improve.

In such elderly age uterine prolapse(Cyctocele and rectocele) can cause stress urinary incontinence and stool incontinence.

Your mother may need a Gynecological examination and consultation.

Baseline ultrasound may be done to find the cause.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.
Follow-up: Diabetic. Treated for UTI. Prescribed Augmentin and injections of Cefatriaxone Monocef. Caused diarrhea. Remedy? 39 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX Incontinence stopped after Augmentin was stopped (replaced by Plurifloxacin), although she is still having some diarrhoea. Just for your info. If I have a further follow up question, I will ask within the next 24 hrs.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 5 minutes later
Ok, Ready to help you with answers.