Diabetic. Taking medicine. Have grade 2 fatty lever, abdominal pain and numb hand. Treatment?

I have been suffering from diabeties for the past 1 year now. I have been on a medication for some time. I was on galvus met and pios. I also have a grade 2 fatty lever. Recently, I had developed a accute pain on the right side lower abdomen. Also I have a bloated stomach for quite some time. From today morning, I have a numb finger on the left hand. I can feel the sensation but there is a numbness in the left little finger and the ring finger. Kindly advise.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 2 hours later

Numbness in the fingers in people with diabetes indicates nerve damage. It may also progress as tingling and pain sensations called as neuropathy.

Glavus met and pio are good medication for glucose control.

Pioglittazone helps in treatment of fatty liver.

Diabetic neuropathy is one of the common complications of diabetes mellitus.

Strict glycemic control is mandatory with drug, diet control & exercise.
Some drugs are helpful to reduce the neuropathic pain like pregabaline,gabapentin etc.

Vit b12 may also be useful.

Please provide me the following details to help you with this

1. Past history of neuropathy
2. Recent blood glucose values
3. History of alcohol intake
4. Family history of diabetes and its complications

Thank you
Follow-up: Diabetic. Taking medicine. Have grade 2 fatty lever, abdominal pain and numb hand. Treatment? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

There is no pain as such but there is a tingling sensation since the past 8 hours. Recently my local physician has suggested that I use Glycomet 500mg SR. So currently I am using the same. Here is the information that you requested for:

1.     Past history of neuropathy - None. However, I had developed a headache towards my left side above the ear. I started using a herbal medicine called Ashva XXXXXXX for stress relieving. And I don’t suffer from it anymore.
2.     Recent Blood sugar values – On 16th XXXXXXX – Fasting(172), Post Lunch(290)
3.     History of alcohol intake – Once every 2 or 3 months.
4.     Family history of Diabetes & its complications – My entire paternal side is effected by diabetes. My uncle suffered from kidney failure, decreased eyesight.
Thanks for the information
Firstly I want to advice you regarding the alcohol intake. Being diabetic and drinking is a great mistake that you are doing to your body and especially you with a grade 2 fatty liver, drinking is a irreversible punishment you are giving to your body
Further I want to tell you that glycomet contains metformin, it causes sickness when taken and drunk which may also lead to serious issues with heart, liver and XXXXXXX organs
Even if you maintain a strict glycemic control, drinking even occasionally spoils the whole scene
See, I do not want you to get panic with my words, but I want you to gain the maximum benefit of using health care magic by giving you the minute detail of whatever you need. So that you can decide what to do and what not to.

Coming to your glucose levels, they are high as you also may know, your age being 31 ,I advice you to maintain strict glycemic control to avoid complications at an early age, as you have a very strong family history too
As there is no pain in the fingers as of now, you can go for a vitamin B12 injection with your doctor’s help.
Thank you