Diabetic. Taking insulin. Observed damage in kidney and retina. Suffer from fuzziness and blurriness in vision. Suggest diet?

My father is suffering from diabetes type 2 since last 13 years. His Age is close to 57.
While his sugar levels have been hard to control though he takes Insulin, in last couple of years on checkups and various test we have learnt that his Kidney has been hampered leaking protein, speaking of his eyes Retina also has shown some damage, at times he sees clearly yet at other times he losses vision to fuzzyness and blurryness.
Upon consulting doctors his diet now should avoid all kind of sugar, but protein also being striked off the chart as per Doctors Suggestion there is hardly thing left to eat for him. Could you suggest food varients and quantity of foods he can eat and yet satisfy his hunger ? As most of the food wheats and rice which are main courses in our culture and others suggested on the internet for diabetes seems to have high content of protein which cannot be taken.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later

Welcome to Healthcare magic

Since you are advised to avoid Proteins, and it is true because as your father is having nephropathy not end stage renal disease going for Dialysis. As far as you restrict protein it will prevent the further progression of kidney disease.
secondly when you constitute diet for your father keep these things following in your mind
1. Limitation of fluid appropriately - Depends on individual - Look for signs of fluid retention such as swelling in the legs and around the eyes
2. Intake of electrolytes and especially salts like sodium, potassium and calcium should be restricted - sodium less than 4 gm/day.
3. Protein restriction as advised.
4. Increased intake of unsaturated fats along with complex carbohydrates such as bread, grains, rice, fruits and vegetables. As these provide energy, vitamins and minerals along with fiber which satisfies appetite.

Vegetables and outer skin of fruits have large amount of fiber which helps to satisfy the appetite.

5. If your father weight is more than the normal then calorie restriction is advised by decreasing carbohydrate.

6. Protein intake should not be more than one gram per kg body weight. Ideally egg white protein is recommended than protein of plant origin

7. Proper supplementation of iron is recommended by pulses and vegetables.

8. Calcium should be restricted. Additional calcium is not recommended.

I think you got the basic idea how to choose the food, if you have any queries please.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Taking insulin. Observed damage in kidney and retina. Suffer from fuzziness and blurriness in vision. Suggest diet? 1 hour later
hello Doc,

Many thanks for the advice.

As matter of fact, we do notice symtoms as you have mentioned in Point 1. what are we supposed to do in that case ? Shall we have check or limit on every other fluid he takes apart from plain water.
He takes lots of fluids such as Tea, Artificial Sugar free Syrups and "lots of butter milk" with very low amounts of Salt and spices in it. And a cup of milk twice in day.

Other than this can he rice at liberel amounts as per point 4. which leaves me again with basic question, is it okay for diabetic to eat rice. Since Physicians have consulted have suggested to avoid rice as much as possible since it adds to the sugar.

Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 50 minutes later

My first answer is DIABETES PATIENTS CAN EAT LOT OF RICE BUT SHOULD BE SPACED IN REGULAR QUANTITIES WITH PROPER INTERVALS that is two hours in minimum. Do not overload him with large quantity but small frequent interval should be given.

Rice contains starch, its a complex sugar,

As I mentioned earlier you need to keep an eye on fluid quantity. Additionally control blood pressure below 130/80 mm of hg.

Feel free to ask