Diabetic. Taking human mixtard. Can I take protien supplement to develope my muscles?

Aug 2012

Hi, I am a type 1 diabetic since 6 years and I take human mixtard 30/70. My blood sugar has largely been under control. I have no complications till now and my last HbA1C was 6.7. I used to work out in the gym about 2-3 years back. I want to start going to the gym again and start a bodybuilding routine. I want to take some protien supplements to develope my muscles. Most gym trainers recommend whey protien. Since I am a diabetic, I wish to take some medical advice before going ahead with it. I am attaching the link to the product I am reffering to. Kindly let me know if the product is safe for me to consume.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 58 minutes later
Hi Harmeet.

The protein supplement is ok to take if you have confirmed you do not have protein leakage in your urine. Along with serum creatinine you check for 24 hour urinary protein and creatinine. If everything is good then taking protein XXXXXXX diet is not an issue.
If you have issues in consuming skimmed milk (which contains both carbohydrates and proteins) in large quantity- say 4 to 6 glasses (1 to 1 and half litres) a day plus two egg whites a day then only you take this expensive supplement. Otherwise natural diet of skimmed milk will also give you enough sugar and water required for heavy exercises. Additional egg proteins will give you wholesomeness.
This protein supplement also contains carbohydrates- 4 gm in 1 serving. Skimmed milk contains 4gm carbs in 100 ml.
I hope you got your answer. Take care.