Diabetic. Taking glimisave M1. On balanced diet and exercise. Should I continue this medicine?

Jan 2013

i am sugar patient since 2009 and i have been on glimisave M1 (half a tab before 30 min lunch & dinner) since then. i am on balanced diet and exercise for 20min.Recently i checked my blood sugar in morning it 318. pl advise whether i have to continue the medicine or shift to another medicine.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 48 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcarecaremagic forum.

Let me know your current blood sugar both fasting & postprandial.
Mentioned blood sugar 318 mg%, is fasting or postprandial?

With the available described details, your blood sugar is totally uncontrolled and whatever dosage of medicine you are using appears to be insufficient.
Blood sugar must be in controlled range as it is associated with multiple complications.
Although you are living a healthy life; this may be contributory but not satisfactory as diabetes occur due to progressive loss of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.

You should consult with your treating doctor/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar both fasting and postprandial, glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c).
You should also go for ECG, lipid profile, urine routine and microscopy and renal function test.

Meanwhile, you should continue your Glimisave M1 twice in day under guidance of your treating doctor.
You may need another medication depending on your blood sugar status.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava