Diabetic. Taking basal bolus regime of insulin. Is it ok to wait for 2 hours for breakfast after workout?

I am a type 1 diabetic from 6 years, and I am currently on a basal bolus regime of insulin. I go to the gym to exercise every morning and take a protein supplement powder. I wake up at 5 AM and reach the gym at about 5:30. I eat a banana without taking any bolus insulin before exercise. I finish by 6:30 to 6:45 get ready for office by 7:45, take my whey protein supplement with a glass of skimmed milk and take actrapid. It takes me around 10 minutes by walk to reach the office and then I have my breakfast there.

Now the trouble is that proper breakfast at office is available only after 9:00 AM. Before that all they have is a sandwich and tea. My question is, will it be ok if I take the glass of milk with the protein supplement(contains 24 gms of protein per serving and and 4 gms carbs) without taking the bolus insulin? I want to wait till 9:00 PM and take my injection and breakfast at that time itself.
Just to rephrase, all I want to know is that is it ok to wait for about 2 hours for breakfast after workout?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 30 minutes later

I believe we XXXXXXX again. Good to know you are adjusted on the basal bolus regimen.

The solution to your predicament is simple. Just measure your sugars once during work and about 30 mins after work out for a few days. If your sugars are low or falling, I would recommend you to eat something after breakfast.If the sugars remain stable and not falling then you can as take a shot of Actrapid before 9 am and have your breakfast. Let me know the sugars levels as I suggested and we would be able to judge better

With Regards
Dr. Om Lakhani.
Follow-up: Diabetic. Taking basal bolus regime of insulin. Is it ok to wait for 2 hours for breakfast after workout? 45 minutes later
Hello Doctor,
Nice to see you again. I have already monitored my blood sugar as you said. I will now explain how my blood sugar generally behaves during the morning times.
I wake up at 5 and my blood sugar is 98. I eat a banana, workout for about an hour or so, my blood sugar rises to about 114. I have done it 3-4 times and the behavior is more or less the same. Then before leaving for office I have a protein shake. I have not experienced hypoglycemia so far following this regime.
But my question is not just from the sugar level point of view. I can always monitor my blood sugar and act accordingly.
My purpose of working out is to build muscles. And from my limited research on internet and some books, I have come to know that the muscles need proteins and carbs the most immediately after work out to rebuild themselves. My concern was that if this fact is true, then won't I be depriving my muscles of the carbs and proteins it needs to rebuild immediately after work out ?
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 7 minutes later

Building muscles with Type 1 Diabetes is a little difficult task but not impossible. Insulin is an anabolic hormone ie it not only maintains sugar levels but also helps build the body.

By taking Protein supplements you are already proving fuel to the body for building your muscles so depravity is not much of an issue. Since your sugars are good before and after work out, I wouldn't worry much about deprivation. Remember your blood sugar in diabetes is not not reflection of amount of nutrition going into your muscles. Your muscles will take the sugar and proteins it requires as long as you provide it.

Hope this answers your question

Dr. Om Lakhani.