Diabetic. Take humulin. Type 1 gasteoparesis, COPD and fibro gluten intolerant. Through menopause. Suggestions?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi I am a type 1 diabetic. I take humulin R 500 in a pump and I still have to take 30-35 units a day If I drop down to a lo carb diet 20 grams I still take 15 to 20 units a day. I stayed locarb 20 grams for eight weeks I only lost six lbs. I am 54 yrs old type 1 gasteoparesis COPD fibro gluten intolerant.I cannot tolerate metformin. What else can I try to keep my sugar readings down? I also take chromium pic. and bitter melon and walk a half hour a day.
I weigh 300 lbs I cannot get it off already thru menopause
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 43 minutes later
Type 1 diabetes and insulin pump therapy are both complex conditions.

I hope you are seeing an endocrinologist as well as a RD ,CDE (Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator) to give inputs on managing this chronic condition.

Low carb diets are difficult to maintain long term. Instead work with your dietitian to stay on a balanced diet. Learn carb counting skills. Good pump settings are vital to success

Insulin itself, regardless of type and mode of delivery, can cause some weight gain.
Talk to your doctor about the feasibility if a medication called Symlin, that is approved for use in people with type 1 diabetes. It helps control glucoses as well facilitates weight loss

Follow-up: Diabetic. Take humulin. Type 1 gasteoparesis, COPD and fibro gluten intolerant. Through menopause. Suggestions? 28 hours later
yes I am seeing a endocrinologist the dietician wants me to eat 250 carbs a day I tried it and gained this weight I cannot eat that many carbs she gave me no other solution. I understand carb counting inside out I even understand the pump workings been a diabetic since 1996 but was mistreated till 2004 as type 2 no one ever checked till than. I understand insulin causes weight gain but why do I? A lot of type 1 are thin

no answer to the question above could pcos be part of my problemI have to much testosterone my periods were terrible bed ridden two three days every month had four miscarriages so maybe that is where some of the difficulty of weight loss is ?

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 37 hours later
It is true that type 1 diabetics are generally leaner. However, the landscape has changed over the last decade with rampant obesity in general populations. So lot of type 1 diabetics are not lean anymore. This had made differentiating between type 1 versus type 2 difficult, based on weight alone.

PCOS is associated with being overweight/obese. High testosterone level, by itself cannot cause weight gain

Follow-up: Diabetic. Take humulin. Type 1 gasteoparesis, COPD and fibro gluten intolerant. Through menopause. Suggestions? 5 hours later
So what avenues do I have or questions I should ask my Dr.?

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 17 hours later

Obesity is a global problem.

WWW.WWWW.WW
Ask your doctor if a medication called Symlin is an option for you. it may help you control your diabetes with attendant weight loss