Diabetic. Suggest the blood pressure medication?

what high blood medications are most effective for African americans?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thiazide diuretics, calcium channel blockers

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The main drug classes of drugs that work well for African Americans are calcium Channel blockers and Thiazide diuretics. These drugs are usually taken in combination with Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors for optimal control.

Weight loss, salt and alcohol restriction, and increased physical activity still remain key aspects in the management process.

Feel free to ask further questions in case of need through this medium. I shall be glad to contribute to your well being. Kind regards and wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD
Follow-up: Diabetic. Suggest the blood pressure medication? 20 hours later
I have tried these medications and have experienced problems with them. Water pills cause severe cramps and ace inhibitors cause me to develop a cough.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Other effective options and combinations exist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

You are correct with the fact that ACE inhibitors do cause cough in some patients. Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs) do have similar effects and actions like ACE inhibitors. However, they act through a slightly different mechanism and have the big advantage of NOT having cough is side effect. They are also effective in African Americans. I suggest you could, with your doctor's consent, substitute the ACE inhibitor with Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs) , like Losartan and Valsartan.

Water pills are at times associated with loss of ions like Calcium and Magnesium. Low Calcium and Magnesium levels can cause cramps. It might therefore be necessary to screen for blood Calcium and Magnesium first.

However, Calcium Channel blockers could also be used in association to Angiotensin II receptor blockers. You will have to discuss with your doctor, since changing medication would require a good and strict follow up from your doctor. Feel free asking further questions in case you got other concerns. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD