Diabetic. Suffering from chest pain. Underwent angiography and report was fine. How do I reduce the chest pain?

General Surgeon
My Father is 60 year old ,he is diabetic patient since 10-15 years. he is suffering from chest pain since last 10-15 year -
initially it was just occasionally basis and later on it became a
regular 3-4 times in a week. he underwent angiography as well before 8 months
and report was fine with a very small problem in vein which was not
considered as a blockage as per doctor and doctor told to remove this
with medicine. sugar level varied also in between 120 to 220 .

Pain is pinching type in exact central of chest and which is mostly
occurs when he is laying down for sleep in night

Main problem is chest pain and I want know the cause of pain as most of the doctor just right the medicine and pain goes for some time and agian it starts

We went through some Chest XRAY, ECG and all it went well,Lipid profile test was also ok and not any sever report .
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Chest area is sometimes very hard to diagnose. Its because in this particular place we have nerves from gallbladder, liver, stomach, heart and rib muscles. That is why heart-like symptoms can be caused by other disease.

As heart issues were ruled out, you should have gastrointestinal diagnostics.

Chest pain when laying down is quite characteristic for GERD (gastrointestinal reflux disease). Due to increased stomach acid secretion, esophagus gets irritated and give chest pain. Such pain can be associated with nausea, lower abdominal pain. Sometimes throat inflammation and throat pain appears. Cough can be also present.

Gallstones pain can be also present in the chest area. Such pain is usually triggered by a meal, lower right abdominal pain and nausea are also present.

Rib nerve and muscles pain is kind of strong, sharp, well localized pain. It gets stronger when breathing (moving the chest) and can be unnoticeable when the chest is not moving.

I suggest you to visit gastroenterologist and have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, liver tests, amylase, bilirubin should be done at first. If this tests will be negative, gastroscopy should be done.

In a meanwhile please avoid coffee (very important), fatty foods, spicy foods, soft drinks. Do not eat before sleeping (last meal should be 2 hours before sleeping). Place your head a little bit higher when sleeping.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.