Diabetic. Started with Glynace. Raised 280 FS and 320 PP. Prescribed Glykind. What needs to be done?

Iam diabetic ( Type 2) sinc3 1998. I am 62 now. My treatment was started with Glynace 5 mg 1/2 tab a day. The it was made 1 tab a day by my phycian , after an yaer. Then my sugar level used tobe 140 FS and 180 PP. The it raised to 280 FS and 320 PP. Then iwas adviced Glykind M twice before meal. I worked for some months and and it started to reach same levels, Now doctor has adviced one tab Glykind M twice beforebreakfast and dinner in the morning and janumet 1 tab after lunch. It worked magically initially(started in May 2012) but again my sugar levels are touching same 220/230 FS and 280 PP.
Please advise whether I need again change?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Diabetes is considered to be a condition that progresses. Persons may start with needing only lifestyle changes to keep blood sugars normal, this progresses to one medication- increased doses of this medication to needing more than one medication.

The reason that the disease progresses is because the pancreas which makes the insulin is able to make less and less because it burns out.

So initially when you were diagnosed your body was making more insulin than it is making now so your blood sugar rises.

Blood sugars go up when a person uses carbohydrates so part of blood sugar control involves decreasing the amount of carbohydrates used- this is found in rice/pastry/potatoes/pasta/bread/biscuits/sodas/fruit drinks.
You can consider decreasing the use of any of these.

In addition your doctor may consider adding another medication mostly metformin. This is one of the most commonly used medications for diabetes, it reduces the body's resistance to its own insulin so that it can work better.
It can be used along with your other medication.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions