Diabetic. Started diarrhea, body ache and fever. Not cured by imosec and lopoamide. Any solution?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am suffering from severe diarrhea since morning , have had about 10 motions very watery,have taken imosec , lopoamide but no relief. Yesterday it started with bodyache and mild fever. I am 47 , diabetic.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 48 minutes later
I am Dr. Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Since the symptoms started with bodyache and mild fever, the diarrhea is most likley to be due to infection. It could be bacterial or viral. A complete blood count and a stool test may be done to see if it is due to viral or bacterial infection.

If it is bacterial, then you may need a course of antibiotics for relief. If it is viral , it is self limiting and will subside on its own.

Take probiotics, zinc supplements and electrolyte solutions for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Diabetic. Started diarrhea, body ache and fever. Not cured by imosec and lopoamide. Any solution? 12 minutes later
The frequency is about 1/2 hour. Though no fever or body ache. I am taking electrol regularly but medicine has had no effect till now.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 38 hours later
Electral just corrects the hydration and electrolyte disturbances. It does not stop diarrhea.
Do not worry about the frequency of loose stools.
All you need to do is maintain good hydration. A good urine output and a moist tongue are indicators of good hydration.

As mentioned above, get a complete blood count and a stool test done if you still have diarrhea.
Probiotics and zinc supplements will hasten recovery.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini