Diabetic. On insulin and metformin HCL. Noticed decline in libido. What should I do?

I am diabetic and currently inject myself with insulin and take a metmorfin HCI sustained release tablet. I have been diagnosed with diabetes for the past six months and I continue to maintain a healthy regimen by working out regularly and maintaining a good diet plan. Off late, I see that my libido has been on a decline and wanted to understand whether diabetes is the reason for the same. We used to have a healthy sex life earlier. But, off late I feel that I do not have any good interest in participating in the intercourse. I am not stressed from work or anything. What do you think might be the reason for the same? Thanking you in anticipation.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The diabetes is a difficult disease to manage but the measures you are taking are good enough and would help you manage the problem.
You should also include the care of feet in the management and divide the meals in smaller fractions like 5meals a day in place of two, just to spead the load of glucose equally in the day.
Diabetes is known to cause neuropathy and erectile dysfuntion in the long run but would not affect the libido as your case is.
Another importantant thing is a slight decrease in testosterone levels by Metformin but it is so slight that it also does not cause a decreased libido.
It seems you have a pressure of the disease and are preoccupied with it and so having a decrease in libido.
You are managing it well then you should be happy. Diabetes if managed well and a regular life style is observed then there should be no concern.
It is not a cause for loss of libido.
Optionally you can decrease the dose of metformin and observe for a month if that helps at all.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.