Diabetic. On dialysis. No liver function. On ventilator. Prognosis?

50 yo man in ICU post MI. He's diabetic, on dialysis to take off fluid, no liver function, on a ventilator, sedated for 3 days. Doctors have tried to waken him for past two days. Has not responded. Doing a CT scan to determine why not waking up. With that brief info, what do you believe his prognosis is?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Multiple organ failure (MOF)

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Based on the information provided, there are chances of a multiple organ failure (MOF), as a dialysis is required every now and then (which means his kidneys are not functioning properly/adequately); his liver function is close to absent as mentioned by you; and he has suffered an MI (myocardial infarction).

These are some of the most vital organs, which when abnormal or imbalanced can have a strong impact on the brain function resulting in damage or death of cells in the brain. This could be the one of the causes of his unconscious state.

Another cause can be the accumulation of toxic substances in the body which are usually filtered out by the kidneys and/or liver; but as these organs are not functioning properly it has resulted in an accumulation of these toxic substances which prevent the brain from functioning properly.

But, I am sorry to inform you that either way, the patients prognosis for life is not good. I hope I have provided a simple and easy to understand explanation. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes