Diabetic. On diabex XR, vanadium with chromium to maintain blood sugar. Safe to use?

l am a dieabetic l take 2 diabex xr 500 tablets a day l sent away for vanadium with chromium which helps mantain healthy blood sugar levels it says on back to consult a doctor before using is it safe to use
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

You have high blood pressure and are a diabetic and want to know whether chromium and vanadium supplements can help keep your blood sugar normal.

There was great excitement at one time regarding both, especially chromium picolinate. But there are as many studies showing effect as there are showing no effect. Now whether you should be taking it or not is your query.

Well, there may or may not be a very slight benefit; additionally chromium may have a slight anti-depressant effect but there are also some reports of genetic effects.

From my own personal experience of treating diabetics, after the initial excitement, I have stopped using them.

Hope my answer helps. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards and good health!