Diabetic. Not cured by medicine. Prescribed jalra m, amaryl, cardec, gabavus. Are these safe?

I am having Diabetes since 2001. I am in medication since then and my sugar was under control. Sugar is not in good control for last one year. .
l. Gly Hb=8.8in Jun'12 (Medication-GlimyMP1,Janumet500),Gly Hb=8.3 in Jan'13(Jalra 50,Glycomet M2 forte).Changed to Jalrs M50 last month.
Today My FBS-139 at 6.00AM, RBS-314 at 11.40AM,RBS-301 at 6.50PM, .First time my sugar has crossed 300 and not under controNow My Doctor has prescribed Jalra M 50-once daily,Amaryl M2-twice daily,Cardec-2.5mg-one in morning,Gabavus-MC1- one in Alternate Day
Kindly advise a suitable better combination,if any.
I request to confirm,if the prescribed medicines arein order.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its already very important you recognize your treatment is not very optimal.
Key issues in management of diabetes mellitus is compliance to treatment and a tight follow. Drug manipulation deserves great care, because some patients might be over or under treated due to inadequate monitoring.
In your case, I suggest you take the medications as prescribed by your physician for a week and take your daily fasting blood sugar readings at the same times everyday.
This should be followed by a revisit to your physician after this while with your blood glucose readings for evaluation. This could either lead to modification of the drugs or modification of the doses based on the readings. Self modification of your therapy is not my advice.
Other life style modifications should continue to be reinforced like appropriate diet, XXXXXXX in vegetables , fruits and fibre, low sodium diet and low saturated fat diet. Weekly exercise of 30 minutes, 3 to 4 times a week would be very helpful too. Being capable of recognizing signs of hypoglycemia are very important for you to take sugar in such a case (hunger, sweating, tremor, abdominal pain, blurred vision).
For now , i propose you take treatment as prescribed, which I consider appropriate and see your doctor for follow up. Remember your doctor takes into consideration your past medical history and other comorbidities, to prescribe you a regimen that offers you the greatest benefit based on current scientific evidence.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.