Diabetic. Losing weight. Diagnosed with intestinal tuberculosis. Are prescribed medicine safe?

I am 54-Male Diabetic and have been diagnosed of intestinal tuberculosis (after Abdomen CT-Scan followed by colonoscopy and getting a biposy done).
lost weight recently about 15-18 kilos in the last 6 months
Im weighing about 52 kg right now.

gastroenterologist prescribed the following :
akurit 4 (4 tablets at once per day before breakfast)
razo d capsule 2 per day before breakfast and dinner
zofer 4 MG tablet
A to Z gold Capsule
Benadan 1/2 per day .

I just wanted to take a second opinion from a tb specialist .
Please advice on how the above medicines to be taken .
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later

Once the diagnosis of TB anywhere in the body is confirmed, you have to start taking ATT(anti tb treatment).

You have rightly been prescribed akurit 4 tablets. It contains 4 different types of essential anti tb drugs. All tb drugs have to be taken in the morning on empty stomach and for next 1/2 hr, nothing to be taken by mouth for proper absorption of the drugs.

You will have to take 4 drugs regimen regularly for next 2 or 3 months depending on your response to the treatment and then your doctor will stop 2 drugs ie ethambutol and pyrazinamide and continue 2 others ie isonex and rifampicin for next 6 to 7 months. Total duration of treatment will be 6 to 9 months.

Razo D is to avoid any gastriris and zofer is to prevent nausea and vomoting. These can be stopped once your symptoms of gastritis, nausea and vomiting subside.

Benadon is vit b6(pyridoxin) which must be taken with tb treatment. A to Z is also a vit supplement.
Follow-up: Diabetic. Losing weight. Diagnosed with intestinal tuberculosis. Are prescribed medicine safe? 3 hours later
I'm starting the ATT course tomorrow morning
I'm taking levorid 5 mg (1 tablet every alternate day) as I have itching on my body (usually on hands , neck and chest)

In the night Im taking XXXXXXX reteard-200 and lonazep-2 for fits (1 each every night)
for BP ,I take tazloc-40 .
Glycomet GP 1 (1 tablet everyday) for Sugar

Does these drugs have any interference or drug reaction with the prescribed TB course ?

are there any diet restrictions (non-veg , especially mutton and sea food )?
if yes, for how long ?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 42 hours later

You are taking medicines for epilepsy, diabetes and now for TB. All these are essential drugs in your case and they do have potential side effects.

Take all your medicines under regular supervision of your treating physician with a regular check for liver function, kidney functions or any other test deemed essential by your doctor.

Isonex( tb drug) may enhance the action of XXXXXXX retard 200 and a dose modification may be required. Consult your physician for necessary advice.

You have to adhere to the diet restrictions that your doctor has advised for diabetes. For Tb you have to take healthy nourishing diet which will help you in faster recovery and you can afford to put on some weight which will happen automatcally as your appetite improves after starting ATT.There is no restriction on non veg food as well however red meat is considered an unhealthy option as it increases bad cholesterol.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Losing weight. Diagnosed with intestinal tuberculosis. Are prescribed medicine safe? 1 hour later

I have been taking medicines for tb from yesterday.

I'm not getting motions from yesterday .

Is it because of the tb medicines ?
Should I take any additional tablet for motions?

Please suggest .

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 10 minutes later
When you take any medicine, the system may react to it and physiology may alter slightly. There is no cause to worry. Your bowels will move soon. Take a lot of water. It`s not advisable to take laxatives at this stage as you have intestinal tuberculosis. If the problem persists and bowels do`nt move naturally, consult your doctor.