Diabetic. Is it safe to take amaryl, jalra m and fibrator?

Jan 2013

i am a diabetic patient and doctor has asked me to take amaryl 1 mg before breakfast and jalra m 50mg/500mg after breakfast and dinner and again fibrator after dinner say me its right to take this 3 medicine
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Treatment of diabetes is decided by blood sugar fasting & postprandial level and glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c).
Let me know values of above mentioned investigations.
Kindly give details of your lipid profile also.

As per treatment is concerned, above mentioned medicine are best and you should continue the medicines.
You should remain in touch with your treating doctor and should go for blood sugar level and glycated hemoglobin regularly.
Glycated hemoglobin should be checked at an interval of 3 months.

As you have history of diabetes since 5 years and your present age is 34 years, there may also be possibility of Type I diabetes and you should also go for serum C peptide level.
This investigations tells you whether all mentioned medicines works in your body or not.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Diabetic. Is it safe to take amaryl, jalra m and fibrator? 22 hours later
HbA1c 12.3
total cholesterol 276
triglycerides 402
HDL cholesterol 51
LDL 166
cholesterol/HDLC ratio 5.4
serum creatinine 0.70
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 hours later
Your HbA1c is very high and it indicates uncontrolled blood sugar.
You have to continue medicine for better control of sugar.
You may need more dose of medicine for your diabetic status.
Your lipid profile is also deranged.
Although treatment of lipid disorders is decided by LDL level but specially total cholesterol and triglycerides is in high range.
So you should take statins along with fenofibrate on written prescription.
Your serum creatinine is presently in normal range.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Diabetic. Is it safe to take amaryl, jalra m and fibrator? 5 hours later
Yesterday i did a test of blood sugar fasting and it was 104 and my triglycerides is 105 so i got so confused that it went to normal within 20 days so shall i continue with my all those medicine or shall i do serum C peptide level test and can u know me why doctor had prescriped me fibator
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Your fasting blood sugar is controlled and now you should concentrate on postprandial sugar level also.
Its very difficult to control triglycerides within 20 days and either report may be wrong.
You should again recheck it from nationalized laboratories.
You may go for serum c peptide level but it appears that medicines are working in your case.
Fibator is for high triglycerides and cholesterol level.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava