Diabetic. Having stomach problem. Reports show high on white blood cells and fatty tissues. Lost weight. What can be done?

by male friend of 16 years who lives with me has been sick to his stomach every night for the last month, can't keep anything down. is diabetic on medication (pills). sleeps quite a lot. used to help me out since I have m.s. and am borderline diabetic. he lost his dad and mom to cancer and brother has prostate cancer. I am truly worried. he continues to lose weight probably from up. had physical 3 weeks ago. sugar ok, white blood cells high, fatty tissues in body high (didn't understand that one). no insurance. just got off workmans comp. was around 246 when driving tractor trailer weighed in last night at 212. YYYY@YYYY thank you
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable that you are concerned.
The persistent vomiting and the loss of calories caused by the vomiting would cause the weight loss that you are seeing.

There are a number of causes of persistent vomiting . The causes are divided into (1)Viseral disease- this means any condition affecting the organs in the abdomen . This would include conditions such as (a) GERD - severe gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause vomiting . These symptoms are usually worse in the nights or early morning. There may be other symptoms such as burning discomfort in the chest, excess saliva. (b)constipation- this causes bloating and vomiting (c)liver disease (d) gallstones- in this case he would complain of pain in his abdomen (e) if there is any mass obstructing any part of the stomach or bowel such as a tumor it would also cause vomiting

(2)Metabolic- related to side effects of medication, abnormal levels of some chemicals in the blood stream such as urea in persons with kidney disease, high levels of calcium, alcohol use

(3) related to the nervous system such as increased pressure in the brain or disease affecting the inner ear.

With a strong family history of cancer he needs to be evaluated , this evaluation would include physical examination and blood tests- the previous high white cell may indicate infection though the white cells can also be abnormally high in other conditions

The high fatty may be relative to the low levels of muscle detected if he is losing his muscle mass.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions