Diabetic. Having pain on heel. Uric acid level 9.6. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello doctor i m diabetic & having pain on my both heel initially on left heel was paining but 1 week before right heel also paining .My suger is under control & uric acid level is 9.6 pls suggest
no other surgery ,
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 55 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Before I answer your question, I need a bit more information on your symptoms to come to a diagnosis. So please answer the below mentioned questions in an elaborate manner -
* Since how long are you having these pains?
* Do you have pains in any other joints?
* Do you encounter fever along with pains?
* Is your pain present even at rest? or will it be continuous throughout the day?
* Will the pain be more in the morning, once you get down from the bed and start walking?
* When did you checked the uric acid levels?

Follow-up: Diabetic. Having pain on heel. Uric acid level 9.6. Suggest? 3 hours later
Doctor ,
Left leg heel paining 5 month initially it was not too much but since 1 month it is paniing more for this i hv replaced my shoe with soft sandle but from almost 8 days my right leg heel is also paining .
little pain feeling in right knee
No fever is encounter with pain yet
no pain while rest but feel to much while walking
yes doctor more pain in the morning the it feel little bit less while walking but once i seat at desk & get up it feel again.
Uric acid level checked on 2nd july it was 9.6mg/dl
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later

Thanks for your prompt feed back on the questions.

Though there are number of causes for heel pain, from your description of the symptoms, I am of the opinion that you are suffering from PLANTAR FASCITIS.

This condition is characterized by pain and tenderness in the sole of the foot (mostly under the heel) with standing or walking. Typically the pain will be worst after getting up and standing on heels after a period of rest.

Generally this condition is SELF LIMITING and may take around 18 -30 months to resolve.

This condition can be a part of Inflammatory arthropathy ,usually seronegative arthropathy such as gout (which could be in your case with high uric acid levels).

Its always desirable to keep the uric acid level less than 6mg/dl.
The management of this condition involves -
* Cutting down the body weight if you are obese
* Using soft heeled cushion foot wear
* Relative rest and ocassional analgesic medications
* Physiotherapy in the form of stretching exercises and local massage ( foot roller or a tennis ball or a cool water bottle )
* Newer interventions for this condition include - Shockwave therapy and local radiofrequency ablation
* Surgery being the last option with varying results.

Hope I have addressed all your issues. Happy to help if you want any more clarification.