Ask a Dentist   »  

Diabetic. Have swelling on right side of face from jaw to neck. Feels sore and is painful. What to do?

My husband, who is diabetic has suddenly had major swelling on the right side of his face from the jaw down into the neck. He says it is a little sore but not painful. The swelling has gotten worse within the past 30 minutes.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi,Pain along with swelling indicates infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking the query,

Pain along with swelling indicates infection in the tooth which has spread to the periapical tissues, if not treated in time, this can spread to the tissue spaces causing space infection.

As you have mentioned your husband is diabetic, I would suggest to get the treatment started as soon as possible, as the chances of spread of infection is high.

I would encourage you to consult to an ORAL SURGEON and get the checkup done, taking an OPG radiograph will be helpful. I also recommend using antibiotic like Augmentin 625mg thrice daily along with analgesics like aceclofenac serratiopeptidase combination thrice daily in such cases. Your dentist will know about this medication.

Drainage of the abscess is required. And further, depending upon the severity of the infection the infected tooth can be root canal treated or extracted.

If the visit to doctor is taking some time, Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses to give soothing effect and prevent further infection. It may be worthwhile to visit ER too.

Hope you find this helpful. If you have any other queries please mention,

Take care!
Dr Qazi.