Diabetic. Have itchy eye. Will it be safe to go for laser treatment?

Aug 2012

Recently I visited a doctor they conferned I have a diabetes. In my left eye I have problem it will itching and looks little poor . Doctor asked me for laser treament.Suggest what to do.
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 20 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Recent diagnosis of diabetes with high sugars is the reason for poor vision in most of the cases and it is not due to diabetic retinopathy. So please make sure you see an Ophthalmologist who is a retina specialist. Laser treatment is essential only when you have developed diabetic retinopathy. So keep a hold on that decision of undergoing laser treatment as in my opinion itching an eye and poor vision when you are diagnosed to have diabetes recently is not at all retinal problem.
Meanwhile you can do a test to rule out diabetic nephropathy (kidney damage due to diabetes). This is because diabetic retinopathy and nephropathy co-exist and in your case if your eye doctor says you have retinopathy (which I do not believe you have) which needs laser therapy then please confirm nephropathy also by doing urine microalbumin, serum creatinine, 24 hour urine protein and serum creatinine tests.
Please let me know what a retina doctor says. Take care.