Diabetic. Have hypothyroidism, high bp. Feeling weak, dizzy and constipated after medication. What is wrong?

Question
I am 52 years old. I am diabetic, have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, uric acid. doctor has suggested to take insulin @18........10. Jalra M 50/1000 twice a day, Rozavel, Thyronorm, D500Cal, Ecosprin, Pregeb. However, after taking theses medicines I am feeling weakness, diziness, my feets, face and belly is swelling, constipation, nausea, lack of apetite etc. is this normal or side effects of medicines. does jalra m has any effect on kidney
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Every medication has potential side effects. These are problems that CAN but not necessarily WILL happen.

Jalra is a combination of two medications ; metformin and vildagliptin. These medications work in different ways to reduce the blood sugar. The metformin reduces your body's resistance to its own insulin and the vildagliptin has a number of different ways in which it acts. It causes the body to produce insulin and also prevents the body from releasing a substance that raises the blood sugar.

The metformin component of the drug jalra can cause nausea and constipation in some persons, so it is possible that it is contributing to this particular symptom. When this occurs it is normally recommended to introduce alot of fiber into the diet to help the bowels. This would be fruit, vegetables, whole grain, barley,oats.
Prune juice is helpful.If you change your diet and the problem still exists then your doctor may adjust the dose of the medication.
Lack of appetite can occur with nausea.

Constipation can also occur in persons with hypothyroidism if the hormone level is too low so your doctor may consider checking the level to make sure that it is ok.

Swelling may occur if you are experiencing an allergic reaction to any of the medication. You may want to consider, if possible, staggering how you take them, to determine which one of the medications you are reacting to. If this cannot be done, there are allergy tests which can be done for specific drugs. The allergy tests can also determine if there is another cause for the allergic reaction.

Jalra is not known to cause kidney problems, but in persons who have kidney problems related to other causes, the metformin dose is adjusted.
This is because metformin can cause problems in persons who have kidney disease.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Diabetic. Have hypothyroidism, high bp. Feeling weak, dizzy and constipated after medication. What is wrong? 48 hours later
Thank you Dr for answering. Actually the level of creatinine was high sometime back. so should I check creatinine and TSH levels once again for the swelling of my legs and abdomen. Is there any relation between the high blood sugar and creatinine level?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi

Creatinine is an indicator of kidney disease. Diabetes has the potential to cause kidney disease and in this way can cause increased creatinine. Creatinine levels, among other tests, should be done each year to determine if the diabetes is causing kidney disease.

You should consider checking the creatinine level to see if it has remained stable.

The TSH should also be checked to make sure that it is not contributing to your symptoms.