Diabetic. Had silent heart attack earlier. Have triple artery blockage. Safe to go for bypass surgery?

Cardiac Surgeon
My father has gone angiograohy and has been diagnosed with triple artery blockage .Doctor says he has to undergo bypass surgery at the earliest . He has also low EF of 30% & valve leakage . He is also diabetic.

Earlier , my father was feeling uneasy from around 2 weeks & went for a checkup . He had gone ECO test & there it was found that he had a silent heart attack earlier which damaged his heart 50% .

So doctor says that bypass surgery is must but there is also risk added bcoz of above factors .

Currently , he is having medicines & taking complete rest .Surgery is expected in 3 to 4 days .

Kindly suggest is there some way to avoid risk
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 16 hours later
It is very sad that the diagnosis is being made bit late.
Diabetics are more prone for silent attacks. In case of your father also the previous attacks have damaged the heart.
Triple vessel disease is a definite indication for coronary artery bypass grafting. The valve leak(mitral regurgitation) is also because of the coronary artery block. Normal EF is around 60%. He has got severe LV dysfunction.
CABG in the setting of low EF and mitral leak is little risky only.
I suggest he may require some thing called IABP during surgery. It can be inserted preoperatively too to stabilize the heart.
What is his age? Diabetes under control? How long he is suffering from Diabetes? Is it insulin dependent? How severe is the valve leak? mild, moderate, severe?
If the leak is severe good health and speedy recovery.