Diabetic. Had severe stroke. Placed on Lantis. Developed severe itch lumps. Does this happen regularly?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
as I have been a type 2 diabetic for around 12 years and have been on tablets however a sever stroke in January 2013 caused bsg to hit15 and whilst in hospital I was placed on 10mg per day of Lantis but after discharge after 7 weeks I developed a severe itch over most ov my body with feet being the worst effected with large red itchy lumps. After reading an article in the Diabetics Magazine about a person with similar problems and when dropped the itch disappeared so needless to say I dropped it after 5 months and all is clearing up except a swollen left foot and ankle which all started with the taking of Lantis
Does this happen regularly?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
About 20% people experience arms and legs swelling after using lantis so this is common side effect,but however it should subside within 30 days after stopping it.
Although, you should check some other most common causes of legs swelling which are heart disorders, kidney disorder or localized causes(varicose veins, lyphedema). So do basic heart and kidney work up and leg ultrasound to verify circulation.
YOu take lot of medicines and some of these may have similar side effects so you should be aware of it too. YOu can ask your doctor to increase diuretics dosage or try with other diuretics.
Till you do tests, you should avoid long standing, reduce salt intake, regulate blood pressure and blood sugar and regulate body weight.
WIsh you good health. Regards