Diabetic. Had bypass surgery done. Feeling heaviness in leg and dryness in mouth. Any solution?

Jan 2013

I am 65 with diabetes. 11 years ago had by pass surgery. Eyes/heart/ and diabetese all doing well and being monitored. Just lately occassionaly I am getting a dry mouth and my legs are feeling very heavy. This usually passes within half an hour. Can you explain.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcarmagic forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with dry mouth and heaviness in legs.
Do you have burning sensation in mouth/ frequently mouth ulcers/ pinkish red color tongue?
Do you have pain in lower limbs /weakness/ shiny skin in both foots?
Are you a smoker?
Are symptoms present in sitting posture or while walking?
Do you have some sort of stress?

With the available described symptoms, there may be possibility of peripheral artery disease which may be precipitated by smoking.
Smoking may also cause fibrosis and decrease oral secretion.
As such there is no correlation between diabetes and past history of coronary bypass surgery.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for colour Doppler studies of both lower limb, renal function test, complete hologram, and if necessary, then you should also go for nerve conduction studies (to rule out nerves related problems).
Prolonged diabetes also predispose to atherosclerotic changes in arteries and Impaired blood supply may cause symptoms in lower limbs.

If all mentioned investigation and clinical examination is found to be normal, there may also be possibility of panic attacks.
Sudden appearance of weird symptoms and correction after a short period suggests the possibility.
In such case, you should also consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ psychologist.

Take care,
Hope that helps,
Let me know your other queries.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Diabetic. Had bypass surgery done. Feeling heaviness in leg and dryness in mouth. Any solution? 5 minutes later
I am a non smoker. I have had an emg test in the past the result was that I have mild nerve problems in my legs
Heavy leg feeling is only noticable when walking. No shiny skin or burning sensation.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Presence of symptoms during walking suggests intermittent claudication.
You should go for colour Doppler studies of both lower limbs.
Meanwhile, you should take multivitamins.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava