Diabetic. Got hit on knee. Developed swelling and haematoma. Should I consult a doctor?

I am a 69-year old diabetic (medication-controlled). 10 days ago i knocked my left knee on a bus seat. A large haematoma with swelling developed within 2 hours. No loss of function or open wound. Some localised pain.

Over the last 10 days the swelling receded, but the discolouring remains and has now spread around the whole knee and about 10 inches up the thight, clearly delineated. With so much blood under my sking should I worry and seek medical attention?

Thank you for your advice. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I get a picture of normal progression of hematoma from the description provided by you. Only thing now you should be watchful of is that the hematoma does not get infected. Look for increasing pain, redness, warmth, restriction of moment, increasing swelling etc. If you do not have any fresh symptoms, you could freely move the limb, no fever, etc you need not worry. The color change produced by the hematoma will take some more time to disappear. Initially it will be purplish blue later becomes yellowish and finally becomes brownish and then disappears.

Do not worry if there are no fresh symptoms like the one I described. If a new symptom appears you may have to be examined by your doctor for investigations and treatment.

Hope this helps.