Diabetic. Gait broad based, balance insecure and soles to ankles having tingling sensation. Signs of diabetic neuropathy?

Question
Thank you. You recently answered my questions about Lipitor with great success though I still have some problems. My NEW question however relates to diabetes. I have type 2 and it is reasonably controlled. However I have in the past few weeks noted that my gait is broad based, balance is insecure and at night in bed the soles of my feet up to my ankles start to tingle. Do I have signs of diabetic neuropathy and does that mean I will have renal and eye disorders? Anxious about your answer. Herb, M.P.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 18 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Diabetic neuropathy , retinopathy and nephropathy are the long term complications of diabetes.

Your interpertation about your symptoms is probably right as this looks like the starting of neuropathy , for confirmation do the nerve studies.

Although most of the complications of diabetes
are a result of long term uncontrolled levels , a person can have one complication only with very insignificant other system involvment.

Still it is important to check for nephropathy and retina check.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Gait broad based, balance insecure and soles to ankles having tingling sensation. Signs of diabetic neuropathy? 11 minutes later
What are the neurologic tests that are recommended?

It is checking of the peripheral neuropathy by biothesiometer.

Vibration sense, fine touch and sense of position checking on the neurological checkup helps in diagnosis.