Diabetic. Feeling weak. Undergone full health check up. What are the findings in the report?

Jan 2013

My Father is not feeling very well since last few days. I had him undergo a full health checkup and I am attaching the results. He is diabetic patient and is 66 years of age. Can you please go through the reports and let me know his overall health?
His problem in particular is that he is feeling very weak. Usually he is very active but since a few days he is not able to sleep well, feels uneasy at night times - often and also is very weak during the day. He is sleeping often during the day citing weakness.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Is your father loosing his weight progressively?
Is he obese or have slim physique?

Let me know the the name of medication what he is taking presently.
I have gone through all the submitted reports and his blood sugar is found to be raised.
His complete blood count, PSA, chest x XXXXXXX and ECG reports are absolutely normal.

Diabetes is due to progressive loss or destruction of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.
Diabetes is a multi organ disease with involvement of almost all organs of body due to its complications.
Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial must be in controlled range.
Eye check up showed presence of cataract and may be due to uncontrolled blood sugar.

Deficiency of insulin predisposes to inability to use available glucose and body start utilizing protein and fat.
Thats why body start loosing weight and wight reduces drastically.

Obese patient may have diabetes and because of throat altered anatomy, patient may suffer from excessive sleep due to Obstructive sleep apnea.

You should remain in touch with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for regular check up.
In my personal opinion, your father should also take Vildagliptin for control of sugar (if he is not taking).
Vildagliptin inhibits destruction of available insulin and insulin works for longer time.

Your father should also follow dietary advice as suggested by his treating doctor or dietitian.
He should also perform increased physical activity, once recovered from present condition.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava