Diabetic. Fainted after hitting head on floor. Jaw, ear and back of head pains. Should I be worried?

Question
I fainted from being in a seated position and realized several hours later that I hit my head on the floor; the right side of my face. My jaw, ear, and back of my head hurt now. Should I be worried
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I can understand your concern. As is protocol in all head injury cases (even if it is the side of the head that was injured), the patient is always either carefully monitored for a duration of 24-48 hours or is taken in for a CT scan of the head, and a facial x-ray. This is because, if there is indeed an XXXXXXX injury which has resulted in a bleed, it does not show immediately and will require monitoring.

The pain that you are experiencing could simply be because of the blow and the force with which you feel. But, as you did experience loss of consciousness (although prior to the fall), wouldn't you want to know why and investigate further? I feel this is a good idea.

Also, I would like to know how long it has been since you experienced the fall and injury? If it is only a few hours, then please be in the company of family or friends so they can help notice and report an symptoms that you might experience. I shall list these symptoms out for you:
-Loss of consciousness
-Vomiting
-Nausea
-A continuous and worsening headache
-Drowsiness
-Weakness on one side of the body
-Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement)
If you experience any of these, please report to the ER immediately. But, if there have been no such symptoms 24-48 hours after the fall/injury, then there should be nothing to worry about.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion and contact me in the future at: WWW.WWWW.WW
Best wishes.

Follow-up: Diabetic. Fainted after hitting head on floor. Jaw, ear and back of head pains. Should I be worried? 8 hours later
I can't get to my dr until Monday. I had a fainting epoxied before when I went to the hospital and got a ct scan. They said it was most likely vaso vagal. Yesterday, I think it was from being dehydrated; since it happened after a 2 hr horse back ride (temp was 93). What medication should I take for the stiffness and pain?

Hello once again.

As long as you had a CT scan after the incident and there were no abnormalities seen, then it is likely to be benign condition.

All you need are some pain relieving and anti-spasmodic medications, to help relieve the stiffness and pain. If a patient were to come to me with such a presentation, and a clean CT scan, then I would advise the application of warm compress on the neck along with diclofenac ointment and tablets. You may try over the counter pain killers such as ibuprofen twice daily; if pain persists, then you can take the prescription for diclofenac.

Best wishes.